Auburn, New York –  February 5, 2024 – Cayuga Counseling Services Inc. (“Cayuga”) has learned of a data security incident that may have impacted data belonging to certain current and former patients.

On December 19, 2023, Cayuga identified suspicious activity associated with one (1) employee email account. In response, Cayuga took immediate steps to secure its email environment and promptly launched an investigation. Cayuga also engaged independent cybersecurity experts to conduct an investigation. As a result of this investigation, Cayuga learned that an unauthorized actor accessed certain data stored within the email account. After a thorough review of the accessed data, on January 10, 2024, Cayuga determined that certain protected health information may have been impacted by this incident.

While Cayuga has no evidence that any information potentially involved in this incident has been misused, out of an abundance of caution, Cayuga is informing affected individuals about the steps they can take to help protect their information. The potentially affected information may include individuals’ names, treatment information, provider information, diagnoses, dates of birth, insurance information, and prescription information. On February 5, 2024, Cayuga provided written notification of the incident via US mail to impacted individuals.

Cayuga has established a toll-free call center to answer questions about the incident and to address related concerns.  Call center representatives are available Monday through Friday between 9am – 6:30pm  EST (excluding major U.S. holidays) and can be reached at (866) 992-4686.

The privacy and protection of personal and protected health information is a top priority for Cayuga, which deeply regrets any inconvenience or concern this incident may cause.

While we are not aware of the misuse of any potentially affected individual’s information, we are providing the following information to help those wanting to know more about steps they can take to protect themselves and their personal information:

What steps can I take to protect my personal information?

  • Please notify your financial institution immediately if you detect any suspicious activity on any of your accounts, including unauthorized transactions or new accounts opened in your name that you do not recognize. You should also promptly report any fraudulent activity or any suspected incidents of identity theft to proper law enforcement authorities.
  • You can request a copy of your credit report, free of charge, directly from each of the three nationwide credit reporting agencies. To do so, free of charge once every 12 months, please visit or call toll free at 1-877-322-8228. Contact information for the three nationwide credit reporting agencies is listed at the bottom of this page.
  • You can take steps recommended by the Federal Trade Commission to protect yourself from identify theft. The FTC’s website offers helpful information at
  • Additional information on what you can do to better protect yourself is included in your notification letter.

How do I obtain a copy of my credit report?

You can obtain a copy of your credit report, free of charge, directly from each of the three nationwide credit reporting agencies.  To order your credit report, free of charge once every 12 months, please visit or call toll free at 1-877-322-8228. Use the following contact information for the three nationwide credit reporting agencies:

TransUnion P.O. Box 1000 Chester, PA 19016 1-800-916-8800 www.transunion.comExperian P.O. Box 9532 Allen, TX 75013 1-888-397-3742 www.experian.comEquifax P.O. Box 105851 Atlanta, GA 30348 1-800-685-1111

How do I put a fraud alert on my account?

You may consider placing a fraud alert on your credit report. This fraud alert statement informs creditors to possible fraudulent activity within your report and requests that your creditor contact you prior to establishing any accounts in your name. To place a fraud alert on your credit report, contact Equifax, Experian or TransUnion and follow the Fraud Victims instructions. To place a fraud alert on your credit accounts, contact your financial institution or credit provider. Contact information for the three nationwide credit reporting agencies is included in the letter and is also listed at the bottom of this page.

How do I put a security freeze on my credit reports?

You also have the right to place a security freeze on your credit report. A security freeze is intended to prevent credit, loans and services from being approved in your name without your consent. To place a security freeze on your credit report, you need to make a request to each consumer reporting agency. You may make that request by certified mail, overnight mail, or regular stamped mail, or online by following the instructions found at the websites listed below. You will need to provide the following information when requesting a security freeze (note that if you are making a request for your spouse, this information must be provided for him/her as well): (1) full name, with middle initial and any suffixes; (2) Social Security number; (3) date of birth; (4) address. You may also be asked to provide other personal information such as your email address, a copy of a government-issued identification card, and a copy of a recent utility bill or bank or insurance statement. It is essential that each copy be legible, display your name and current mailing address, and the date of issue. There is no charge to place, lift, or remove a freeze. You may obtain a security freeze by contacting any one or more of the following national consumer reporting agencies:

Equifax Security Freeze
PO Box 105788
Atlanta, GA 30348
Experian Security Freeze
PO Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013
TransUnion (FVAD)
PO Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022

What should I do if my family member was involved in the incident and is deceased?

You may choose to notify the three major credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and Trans Union, and request they flag the deceased credit file. This will prevent the credit file information from being used to open credit. To make this request, mail a copy of your family member’s death certificate to each company at the addresses below.